Stop the speech restrictive "anti-blasphemy" Motion M-103!
Update, 21 February 2017: Unfortunately, the Tory motion was defeated today as Liberals voted AGAINST a Motion that would've condemned systemic racism and faith-based discrimination against ANY religion. This exposes the fact that M-103 isn't actually about condemning religious discrimination or systemic racism, it's about prioritizing Islam and providing it a preferential place in Parliament.
M-103 is still scheduled for April, so please continue to sign and share the petition! We've nearly surpassed 70,000 signatures, which is more signatures than those collected by the pro-M103 side, so keep up the good work!
Update, 16 February 2017: Good news! Your voices have been heard and the coalition that formed to pass M-103 is beginning to crumble. The Parliament DID NOT VOTE on M-103 today; instead the vote has been deferred until April.
The Conservatives (Tories) introduced their own motion in response to M-103, which omitted the problematic term "Islamophobia" and included a broad cross-section of religious communities. The vote on the Tory motion will be held next week.
Meanwhile, aspiring Conservative Party leaders (including Kelli Leitch, Kevin O'Leary, Maxime Bernier, Steven Blaney, and Andrew Scheer) have come out in opposition to M-103 and even a fomer Liberal minister is now saying the motion is a mistake.
We need to keep up the pressure until April. Please continue signing and sharing this petition to stop M-103! Every signature sends an email to Parliament, so make your voice heard!
YOUR URGENT HELP IS NEEDED! Motion M-103 is currently being considered by Parliament and is scheduled for a vote on Thursday, February 16th.
The motion will encourage legislation that would criminalize speech deemed "islamophobic" and lay the groundwork for imposing what is essentially a Sharia anti-blasphemy law on all of Canada.
If that happens, criticism of Islam would constitute a speech crime in Canada.
This motion uses the term "islamophobia" without defining it, and without substantiating that there is in fact any such widespread problem in Canada.
This will lead to ideologically-driven overreach and enforcement against alternative points of view—including mature, reasoned criticisms of Islam.
If this motion passes and legislation is enacted:
- Criticism of the treatment of women in Islamic-majority Middle Eastern countries could be criminalized;
- It could be a punishable offense to speak out against the Mustlim Brotherhood, or to denounce radical Imams who want to enact Sharia law in Canada;
- Criticism or depiction of Muhammad could be punishable by law;
- Schools that teach the history of Islam's violent conquests could be fined—or worse.
That kind of content-based, viewpoint-discriminatory censorship is unacceptable in a Western liberal democracy.
Furthermore, Motion M-103 addresses a particular religion to the government's special consideration, while ignoring hostility toward other religions, such as Christianity or Judaism.
Although the Motion is titled “Systemic racism and religious discrimination,” it never once mentions anti-semitism, or discrimination against Christians and other religious groups. That's ironic, since data shows that the majority of Canada's hate crimes are anti-semitic, not anti-Islamic!
Passing this resolution would demonstrate a clear and impermissible governmental preference for Islam over other faiths.
So far, all parties have indicated unanimous support for the bill. We face an uphill battle, but it's imperative that our government understands that we oppose this motion.
Sign the petition immediately to send a message to MPs and party leaders, asking them to drop support for M-103!
- Text of Motion 103
- Toronto Sun: Canada's so-called anti-Islamophobia motion is nothing but trouble
- LifeSiteNews: Canada on verge of passing ominous anti-'Islamophobia' motion
- National Post: How long until my honest criticism of Islamism constitutes a speech crime in Canada?
- Rebel Media: Freedom to Offend: Support free speech, not sharia!
- EverdayForLife: Motion 103 is another death blow to Canada's freedom of speech
- Modern Day Trojan Horse: The Islamic Doctrine of Immigration (The Hijra)
- From the article: "Hijra is immigration designed to subvert and subdue non-Muslim societies and pave the way for eventual, total Islamization."
Sign this petition now!
M-103 is an affront to free speech