Want Ideological Conformity Through Language Control? Sussex Students' Union is the Place For You
The University of Sussex Student Union has made a new ‘Gender Inclusive Language Policy’ which mandates that: “Gender neutral language must be used in all areas of the Students’ Union.”
This attempt at language control is being introduced in order to include “non-binary individuals and transgender people who may not be read as the gender they identify with, and to avoid making assumptions about anyone’s gender identity”.
To give you an overview, the policy:
• wants “equality across all genders…”
• says “pronouns must be stated at the beginning of every meeting” and that “Gender neutral language must be used where an individual’s pronoun are not known”
• says “Gender neutral language must be used by all student media”
• says that all staff should use this language as part of their induction.
• states that if a person has not specifically stated their preferred pronouns “The gender-neutral pronoun ‘they’ should be used as opposed to ‘he’ or ‘she’, and the pronoun ‘them’ as opposed to ‘him’ or ‘her’” and “should not be described as ‘men’ or ‘women’, and inclusive terms such as ‘person’ should be used instead.”
• states that if someone is persistently ‘misgendered’ after having complained to the relevant officer, the officer “should deal with this in appropriate and sensitive ways, recognising the negative impact on individuals’ mental health that misgendering can have.” These officers too will have had “Gender Inclusivity training as part of their induction.”
This post-modern Newspeak can be deeply confusing to anyone not intimately familiar with the ins and outs of (trans)gender ideology (To learn more about it click here and for the dangers of the ideology, click here). But, here we are concerned about the deeply intolerant and totalitarian streak within this ideology.
It is trying to create conformity through the abuse of language by mandating that those at the union use their ideologically approved discourse in all union matters.
But this madness is not only restricted to the union. No, this policy, extends to the student media too.
The union are being extremely authoritarian and the student press are apparently happy to accept this. This is especially ominous given that these students are forming the next generation of writers and politicians.
If you are a student at, or work in, the USSU, you should ignore this policy. For the rest of us, please sign this petition asking the Vice Chancellor of the University to intervene on this matter and do his best to end this policy.
Sign this petition now!
Regarding the USSU's Gender Inclusive Language Policy