Abortion without Consent, Baby Parts Left to Decompose - Shocking Report Reveals How Marie Stopes Continues to Fail Women
In August of this year, a number of Marie Stopes International (MSI) abortion centre were unexpectedly forced to shut down a number of their abortion services. Earlier this week, the Care Quality Commission released their report with details of why they shut down these services. What the report reveals is truly shocking and shows MSI’s total disregard for the health and safety of the women who use their services.
The report details:
- that MSI were experimenting with a new kind of abortion procedure – simultaneous administration of two abortifacients – without notification of the potentially dangerous risks to patients.
- that MSI attempted to perform an abortion on a woman with learning impairments without her informed consent. As the Report states, “Consent to treatment for this patient was not carried out in a way [she] could understand and we observed the situation was poorly and insensitively handled by doctors”.
- that MSI “[s]taff had no training in respect of female genital mutilation or child sexual exploitation, putting these patients at risk of further abuse”.
- that at MSI centres there was “bulk signing” of HSA1 forms (forms required to be signed by two doctors), which could enable illegal abortions (e.g. sex-selective abortions). In the case of medical abortions, it was found that 95% of HSA1 forms had been pre-signed.
- “Staff had limited training in resuscitation. Unplanned simulation drills were poorly attended and staff in attendance rarely knew what the correct actions were."
- in MSI Norwich (p. 14), "multiple surgical termination products were left in a single open hazardous waste bin in a sluice room next to theatres for the whole day". In other words, MSI left the corpses of aborted babies to decompose in the next room.
In short, MSI have shown total contempt for the law by flouting it in this way, and even more shockingly, they are apparently not especially concerned with the safety of women who go to their centres , as they not only failed to inform them about possible dangerous drugs they were being given, but even went so far as to take advantage of a woman with learning difficulties who was unable to understand and give consent to treatment.
This is only a small selection of some of the most shocking failures of MSI. If you want to know the rest, read the report for yourself.
The CQC temporarily suspended services at a number of centres but following some changes, these are now up and running again.
It is important in the interests of the safety of women that two things happen:
1. Independent abortion centres must comply with the Abortion Act’s regulations, the Health and Social Care Act and Required Standard Operating Procedures to receive approval from the Secretary of State. It is only right therefore that those which fail to adhere to these regulations have their approval removed, in order to protect women.
2. Marie Stopes International must be held accountable for the negligent actions which put the safety and lives of women at risk. The management must be held accountable as well as individuals. It is essential therefore that you do all in your power to ensure that appropriate disciplinary action is taken.
Sign this petition to Secretary of State for Health, Jeremy Hunt and Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Public Health and Innovation, Nicola Blackwood asking them to ensure that MSI are held accountable and women are protected.
Sign this petition now!
Hold Marie Stopes International to Account - Revoke Their Approval to Perform Abortions