SAFAIDS, steer off Emaswatiś right to life
1. We are Emaswati from all four regions of the country. Most of us were raised in homesteads with rich family values. We believe in the family as the fundamental unit of society. We believe in marriage between men and women as laid down in the Constitution of the Kingdom of Eswatini, the supreme law of the land.
2. It has been brought to our attention that an organization called Southern Africa AIDS Dissemination Service, SAFAIDS says it is urging Eswatini to ease restrictions on abortion laws.
3. The Constitution of the Kingdom of Eswatini is clear and concise on abortion and we would urge SAFAIDS to familiarize itself with this.
4. We are further alarmed by the increasing trend aiming to undermine the institution of marriage and the family by promoting the so-called new rights, concepts and standards which are contrary to the norm and are not even found in any international human rights instruments. Abortion is NOT an international human right.
5.We have also noticed the tendencies of foreign donors like SAFAIDS to promote such when dangling the “dollar carrot” in front of government and non-government officials. The most common threat used is to bribe them to accept things like homosexuality, abortion and prostitution as “human rights”.
We therefore call upon the SaFAIDS and their counterparts to respect the national sovereignty, cultural and religious values of Emaswati and desist forthwith from promoting such behaviours.
6. Promoting access to abortion as a human right would undermine the General Assembly's consensus, established at the International Conference on Population and Development in Cairo in 1994, that abortion should be decided in national legislation without outside interference. If anything at all SAFAIDS should help women avoid abortion and ensure the well-being of mothers and their children before and after birth.